Maps have been one of the most essential tools for every single traveler out there. Are you stuck in a dead-end? Did you forget your way out of the mazy roads? Maps are your best solution.
Google Maps are much more accurate and convenient to use than physical maps, which is why they’ve been almost completely replaced. But, what if you printed the Google Maps and used it like a paper map?
Why Do People Print Google Maps?
With technology advancing every day, Google Maps are a traveler’s best friend. You can even download Maps in offline mode, and use it in places of no Internet.
However, in certain places and situations, paper maps will still be your best solution. Physical maps will be a better resource when you’re in places with no network coverage and low-battery on your phones.
Our second point is more from a psychological point of view. Expert scientists have discovered from comprehensive research in 2013 that our brain comprehends better from reading on paper than reading on screens.
Using printed Google Maps will help you understand and use your maps much more efficiently than you would have with wireless devices.
Depending on your needs, you can print the direct overview of the map, like a street view, or you can print the directions and routes to certain locations using the features in Google Maps. You can print from almost all kinds of devices, although phones have some limitations.
How To Print Google Maps From Computers
Printing from computers, like Desktops and Laptops can be done in a few steps and is very straightforward. You can use both Windows and Mac OS for printing your Google Maps. There are mainly two methods which you can use.
- Go to the Google Maps website from any web browser, using the address https://www.google.com/maps/.
- In the search bar on the top left corner, you can type the name of the destination or place and select your desired address from the search options below.
- You can zoom in and out using the “+” and “-” symbols on the bottom right corner. Zooming in will enhance the details of the map even more, and the opposite happens when you zoom out. You can adjust the zooming levels according to your preference since the map on your screen is what the printout will look like.
- Next, you’ll hit the “PrtScn” button on your keyboard, open a word-processing software, like MS Word, and paste the picture of your required map there. If it doesn’t work, you can hit “Fn+PrintScreen” on the keyboard.
An alternate process is using any third-party tool like the default Snipping tool on Windows, or FireShot Google Chrome extension.
- You can then adjust the size of the image on the word document, and print it on any paper size, by hitting “Ctrl+P”.
It’s better to print in “Landscape” orientation, which prevents the pixels of the map from breaking.
Zooming out can cut off a lot of details, and zooming in can narrow the amount of area being covered since you only print the part of the map you can see on your screen.
To eliminate this problem, you can use Google Map Customizer or Styling Wizard for free. These APIs help to zoom into the maps as much as you want for the most accurate data, but you can still print maps in large dimensions, covering as much area as you need.
Direct Printing Method
The direct printing method involves printing your maps directly from the Google Maps website. It comes with an additional feature as well; you can print particular routes or directions as well when you print directly from the website.
Printing Google Maps
- The first few steps are the same as the Screenshot Method. You enter your address on the Google Maps website and adjust the zooming features in any way you want them.
- After that, you’ll open the print menu. A shortcut to doing that would be hitting “Ctrl+P” on your keyboard for Windows, and “Command+P” for Mac, and clicking on the blue “Print” button.
Without the keyboard, you can right-click on the ribbon in the top-right corner of Google Chrome. You can select “Print” from the options that emerge. It’s similar for other web browsers as well.
For Safari, you should hit “File” on the Menu bar, and select the “Print” option.
- From the print menu, you should select the correct printer, connected to the device you’re using. You can choose if you want a colored map or a black-and-white map, and also how many copies of the map you want. You should change the orientation or layout to landscape.
- You’ll then hit on “Print”, which will print your map out perfectly.
For older printers, you’ll need to save the file as PDF and you can print that PDF file, giving you the same result.
Printing Directions From Google Maps
- Like the previous two processes, you should enter the website and select the name or address of the place you want to travel to.
- You should click on the blue “Directions” option, which you’ll find on the side panel that appears on the left of the website.
- Filling up the “Starting Point” with your current location or the location you want to travel from will automatically prompt the website to show you the easiest and quickest directions to your destination.
- If you’ve typed in the opposite addresses, you can select the two opposite-facing arrows beside the location options, which will reverse your destinations.
- There are options on top where you can choose if you’re going by car, bike, or by walking. Depending on that, Google Maps can suggest the most efficient route to where you want to go, along with the time it will take and the distance, and send them to your phone as well.
- You’ll then click on “Details”, which will show you the directions in the form of texts.
- On the top right corner of the panel, there’s an option with a Printer icon. Clicking on the icon will present you two options: Print Including Maps and Print Text Only.
The first option will show you the required part of the map, along with directions in the form of texts, in every intersection and turn. The second option will only print you the texts for your directions.
- Choosing your preferred option, you should click on the blue “Print” button, which will appear on the top right side of the webpage.
- The Print Menu will open, where you can configure your print settings, like colors, number of copies, and layout.
- Clicking on “Print” will execute the print command and deliver clear instructions to your location.
How To Print Google Maps From Smartphones And Tablets
Even if your printers and devices support wireless printing, unfortunately, Google Maps don’t come with the advantage of being directly printed from the app. But, you can easily print directions by taking screenshots.
- Open the Maps app by Google on your phone.
- Type in your desired location and select the best address from the options that the app provides.
- You can turn on the Location services of your phone, which will automatically detect your location and provide a layout the most efficient route to your destination.
- You can edit your location if you need to. You can also let Maps know how you will be traveling, using the “Car”, “Motorcycle”, and other icons, or by just walking. This enables Google Maps to provide better directions to your chosen place.
- Zooming in narrows down the area, although the detail increases. For traveling longer distances, you’ll need to take more hundreds of screenshots which can be very inconvenient. You should click on the window at the bottom of the screen.
- The window expands and provides directions in the form of texts. Take a screenshot of those texts.
For Apple devices, press “Side and Volume Up buttons” together or “Side and Home buttons” together.
For most Android devices, pressing the “Power and Volume Down buttons” will work.
- The screenshots are saved as images on your device. If your printer and device are capable of wireless printing, you can directly print the screenshots by connecting the two devices.
- If not, you can transfer the images to another device capable of printing.
If you’re not traveling large distances and want to print the actual map from your smartphones, you can download Google My Maps, as the map can be screenshotted at high resolutions even at high zoomed-in levels.
The steps of printing Google Maps may look lengthy and tough, but once you start, you’ll be done in less than 5 minutes! These are very simple steps to make your lives more convenient. Google Maps are extremely useful to us, both online and offline, physically and digitally.